Just The Cook
- 500 Grams Yukon Potatoes Roughly 1 Lb
- 2 lg Eggs Whisked
- Telecherry Pepper
- 150 Grams Flour See: TIP! 2
- 1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Pre-Heat Oven to 425 Degrees
- Wash your Potatoes well then stab 3 to 4 times with a fork. Place on oven sheet.
- Cook Potatoes for 1 hour.
TIP! 1 – You want your Gnocchi to be dry, boiling the Potatoes, well, adds moisture.
- Once the Potatoes are cooked, remove them from the tray and allow the Potatoes to rest for 20 minutes.
- Using a spoon, remove the Potato from the skin, placing the Potatoes into a glass bowl.
- Add Salt and Pepper as desired.
- Add the Parmesan to the warm Potatoes and stir to combine.
- Add the whisked Eggs to the mixture and again, stir to combine well!
- Turn out the Potato mixture onto a lightly Floured surface.
TIP! 2 – You really want your Gnocchi to taste like, well, a Potato! Try to only use the amount of flour needed to help bind the Gnocchi. Too much flour and your Gnocchi will taste like, well, Flour. LOL
- Lightly sprinkle some of the flour on to the Potato mixture, and work the "Dough" as you would pasta dough. Again only use the amount of Flour needed to help bind the mixture.
- There are many school's of thought here, but here is what I do. Onc the Gnocchi ball is done. I wrap it in cling wrap and place in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
- Once the Gnocchi ball has rested for 20 to 30 minutes, I cut the ball in half (Let's face it – that's a lot of Gnocchi!)
- Using both hands, roll the Dough back and forth on the counter while applying even pressure with both hands.
- The Dough will take on the shape of a rope. This is where good "Jazz Hands" come into play! Roll evenly.
TIP! 3 – What is the desired size for Gnocchi? For me it is about the diameter of my index finger. (Keep in mind that the Gnocchi will swell up when cooked!)
- Now that the Gnocchi rope is at the desired size. Flour the blade of your knife or a Pasta cutter and make even cuts. You want the Gnocchi to cook evenly, this simple tip will help you acheive that even cook.
- IF YOU PLAN TO EAT THE GNOCCHI NOW: Let the cut Gnocchi rest or 15 minutes before cooking. The exposed ends where you made your cuts are now sticky. The 15 minute rest will help those cuts at the ends of the Gnocchi dry.
- IF YOU PLAN TO EAT THE GNOCCHI LATER: Place the Gnocchi on a sheet tray, Plate piece of cardboard, it does not matter, place that tray into your freezer for 30 minutes. You are now creating IQF Gnocchi! (Instant Quick Freeze) After 30 minutes have passed, place the Gnocchi into a zip lock bag and place back in te freezer.
TIP! 4 – If you try to rest your Gnocchi in the fridge until you plan to eat it, it will turn brown. YUK – Jus sayin…
- Boil your Gnocchi in a large pot of water seasoned with Salt. Once you have carefully placed the Gnocchi into the water you will notice that they will either sink or bounce around under the surface. Once the Gnocchi floats to the serface they are done. I like to plus on about 1-2 minutes more cook time. And then remove from the pot. (Flour does not taste good. LOL